Monday, June 18, 2012

The sweetness of failure

I was preparing a Thunderwolf Cavalry Space Marine for the next Golden Demon Spain. I really worked hard on it, spent many many hours converting... but finally yesterday, after so much time of intense suffering...

I FAILED!


Sometimes there's just no excuse...

I decided to leave that project. It was a horrible horrible mini and probably the worst thing I've ever done in my painting life XD. The suffering I was condemning myself because of it was so big that I think I started to have nightmares. So yesterday, when I started my painting afternoon and took a look at it, it hit me. It's not worth it. It was a very bad idea and I failed miserably in every single step of the way. So it was better to accept defeat and start having some fun with painting, which is what it's all about.

And now I feel so good!! It's such a relief that I won't be seeing that damned son of (Fenris) again. It's time to go back to enjoying my painting time!

Golden Demon Spain is very close and now I have nothing to enter competition with! Sad as this is, it may be perfect to use this situation to put my attention back into unfinished business of the past. So I decided I will finish the Artscale Imperial Fist from Master of the Forge and enter into Single 40k. That way I get to finish that project and also have something to enter in GD!

Also, I realized I have many many projects started but never continued and I want to put an end to this nonsense. You can see there are open WIPs in the blog but there is also other stuff I've been keeping secret. Well, that's going to change. I've decided to put an end to secrecy. I'm going to reveal all the material I have on my projects in progress right now, and will do so for everything I start from now on.

Here's a list of stuff I have started and left unfinished:


All of this and a 75mm Boromir I am going to start once we get back from the GD. I ensure you that will have quite a lot of material to go through in the weeks to come. And I will have a lot of work to do!

2 comments:

Corvus said...

One thing I've learned is that you can't force yourself into painting anything. And sometimes you only get that feeling of "I don't like to paint this" after assembly (and converting in your case) is finished.

Apart from the waste of time and money it's not a huge problem: simply continue with the next project :)

Chris/Monkeyman7d said...

Raf!! you are right to stop this nightmare project :) if you can't enjoy it then there is no point to force yourself for a competition. You don't have to prove anything to the painting world my friend ;) we all know your a great painter!
So, i hope you brush finds more fun in the next project you do!! Let the colours run wild haha